Monday, April 18, 2011

Library Design Contest Winner!

We are honored and excited to unveil our new library design. Congratulations to Abby Huff, our creative contest winner!

Here's an excerpt from a Q&A with Abby:

Why did you decide to enter the contest?
When I first heard about the contest, I thought it would be a fun opportunity. I’m interested in advertisements and how they work. For me, having the chance to create a design is really exciting. I’ve designed a few logos before for various groups, and have enjoyed the process. So I thought it would be good to put my interests and talents to use for Gustavus and the library.
What was your inspiration?
I wanted to make something that symbolized the learning that takes place through the library. That was my main goal. The tree is used a lot to symbolize growth and knowledge and is also visually elegant, so it worked well. Having the tree sort of growing out of the book shows the library as a cultivator of knowledge, or a foundation that nurtures and supports a learning that continues to grow.

No comments: